"Overthorpe is more than a school - we are the heart of the community".
Overthorpe CofE Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all its pupils. As a school we recognise that safeguarding against radicalisation is no different from safeguarding against any other vulnerability.
The new Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015 places a legal duty on public bodies (including schools) to ‘have due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism’.
As part of Overthorpe’s commitment to safeguarding and child protection we fully support the government's Prevent Strategy.
We ensure we:
- Teach a broad and balanced curriculum
- Promote fundamental British values
- Assess the risk of pupils being drawn into terrorism and support for extremism
- Train key staff to give them the knowledge and confidence to identify children at risk
- Protect children from terrorist and extremist material when accessing the internet at school
- Ensure robust safeguarding policies are in place to identify children at risk, intervene and refer pupils as appropriate
If you have any concerns you wish to discuss, please contact our Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL), Matt Birkett (Headteacher) on 01924 325300 or any of our Deputy DSLs: Mrs Walker, Mrs Allott and Karen Griffiths.They will ensure that any concerns raised by pupils, staff or parents are dealt with in accordance with Kirklees Safeguarding Procedures. Prevent policy and practice is detailed in our Safeguarding Policy under Section 3.5 ‘Preventing radicalisation and the Kirklees Prevent strategy’. Please click here.
Useful links and resources
Prevent duty guidance
Channel General Awareness
UK Safer internet Centre http://www.saferinternet.org.uk/
Prevent for Schools
All staff are expected to uphold and promote the fundamental principles of British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect, and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. More information on how we teach and promote British Values at Overthorpe can be found here.